TCP Window Scaling issue

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Thu Jul 24 17:23:33 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 9:51 AM, Zach Hill <zach.reborn at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also just to reiterate I would lean more heavily on something fishy in
> the WAN cloud if all traffic from Site 1 to Site 2 were not seeing tcp
> window scaling properly, however it's only for Server A that is seeing
> this. Server A is able to properly TCP window scale for any local traffic.

Remember, the WAN cloud is just that, a cloud;
it's not likely to be a single link underneath it all;
so one bad link/bad port/bad device in the cloud
can affect just a sub-portion of the traffic, depending
on the 5-tuple hashing that takes place.

An interesting test would be to be give server A
a different address (secondary address should be
fine, all you need to do is source packets from a
different source address) and see if your scaling
suddenly reappears.  If it does, it's definitely down
to the 5-tuple hashing happening within The Cloud(tm).

Matt