Muni Fiber and Politics

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Jul 23 21:01:06 UTC 2014

On Jul 23, 2014, at 4:33 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 4:08 PM, Shawn Morris <shawn at smorris.com> wrote:
>> What responsibility does Verizon have to maintain this ratio?
>
> Anybody else think peering ratios miss the point? Netflix is
> theoretically in a position to have their app generate empty
> back-traffic at a rate that maintains any necessary peering ratios,
> but surely Verizon would scream bloody murder if they did.

I would love to see the process improve here.  Ratios are one way to measure value, but when networks are dissimilar it’s hard to compare them.

Regional ASN vs Global ASN, wholesale vs consumer vs enterprise vs CDN and datacenter all make a difference.

I’m wondering if the change at vz when it comes to upload:download ratio is going to cause broader changes in the marketplace.  I suspect it will and those in the US consumer/SMB space may see benefits.  I’d love to see symmetric services from my home carrier.

- Jared