Muni Fiber and Politics

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Wed Jul 23 13:15:14 UTC 2014

Mikael,

Its an interesting idea and I'd like to see some communities try it here.
 Having said that, I anticipate that B4RN style networks will run into some
substantial maintenance and reliability issues over time.  I love the quote
in the economist from the farmer's wife who learned (assuming automated)
fusion splicing, "It’s only like knitting,” but that doesn't make me
confident about the quality of the splices nor the cabling in general.

They are also running into serious problems trying to scale and while
getting 400 homes wired up is laudable, having it take more than two years
is not impressive at all.

"B4RN is a case in point. In two years its volunteers have laid 200km of
cable, and wired up around 400 homes, without any taxpayer money."

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21601265-frustrated-country-dwellers-build-their-own-internet-connections-going-underground

Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology
ZCorum