Muni Fiber and Politics

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Jul 22 22:43:32 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 5:15 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> True, but if your end-to-end loop tester sees a good path, you
> can be pretty sure that the pair is clean end-to-end.

You'd be surprised. I recently dealt with a gentleman who built his
campus fiber plant expecting to configure end-to-end fiber paths using
mechanical connectors along the way. "Maximum acceptable loss on a
fiber segment is anound 10db, right, so with each of these 6 segments
in the threes we should be OK right? Well hold on, let me go to the
next building and clean the connector."

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Can I solve your unusual networking challenges?