Muni Fiber and Politics

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Tue Jul 22 19:00:09 UTC 2014

Mikael,

PON versus Active Ethernet versus $topology_of_the_day makes no real
difference.  If you buy low port density shelves then your cost per port
will be higher.

BCP38 (and BCP64) have nothing to do with who is doing layer 2 since
neither of those technologies pay any attention to the layer 2 network
anyway.  I'd be curious to see your reasoning as to why it needs to be done
between layer 2 and layer 3 given that all of the access gear, including
the Ethernet equipment, has layer 2 enforcement of layer 3 information like
DHCP and static assignments of IP addresses.

"It's cleaner just to do L1 and aggregate thousands or tens of thousands of
residential properties in the same place."

In my experience that's simply untrue today.  Trying to put multiple
operator's layer 2 gear into the collocation space needed inevitably leads
to that space not having enough power, rack units, or cooling and that's
not considering the complaints (actual) of ISP1 accusing ISP2's tech of
intentionally "tripping" over a cable and causing an outage for them.

Keep in mind that in most places a muni network is currently feasible that
muni doesn't have a telco quality wiring center in place already and where
cities have the resources to build one the market usually doesn't need them
to.

Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology
ZCorum