Muni Fiber and Politics - ENDGAME

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue Jul 22 18:54:53 UTC 2014

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014, Bruce H McIntosh wrote:

> How often do they refresh and/or forklift their infrastructure?
> They're not still running on mid90s optical gear, I hope?

They are not running any optical gear, they rent dark fiber to enterprise
and ISPs.

Lately they have installed one strand of fiber per every apartment in
apartment buildings in Stockholm, to enable the possibility of renting
FTTH fiber to ISPs all the way up to apartments. The major problem with
this is that their handoff is in the basement of the building, so the
building owner needs to pay for the installation from basement up to the
apartments which is a major cost, and also it's currently not known
exactly how fault finding should be done. I would be more comfortable if
STOKAB took responsibility all the way into the handoff in the apartment.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se