Muni Fiber and Politics

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Tue Jul 22 16:09:05 UTC 2014

Well yeah, the LECs would definitely come unglued.

But... first off, what do you mean by "free?"  Someone has to pay the
capital and operating budgets - so if not from user fees, then from taxes.

So.. it's a nice thought, but not likely to happen.  Heck, have you ever
seen a water utility that doesn't charge?

Now... having said that -- I could see something like this happen in
California:

- California allows (maybe requires) that developers pay "impact fees"
when building new houses -- i.e., the cost of a house, in a new
development, may include $20,000+ to pay for new infrastructure - roads,
waterworks, police and fire substations, schools, you name it - if you
buy a new house, you pay for the full cost of the infrastructure behind
it (built into the financing of course - first the construction
financing, then the bridge financing, then ultimately the mortgage)

- I have seen some California communities at least toy with including
conduit and fiber in master plans and requirements placed on developers
- after all, it's needed to feed municipal buildings, street light
control, and so forth - and better to have common-user conduit and fiber
in the ground than have multiple people digging up the streets later -
fyi: a street cut typically takes 1 year off pavement lifetime, unless
very carefully repaved - practically nobody does a good job of
permitting street cuts to avoid this - San Antonio being a really
notable exception (I worked for a GIS firm that built their right-of-way
management system - they were a real rarity in good right-of-way
management practices)

- so I could see building the capital cost of a FTTH network into new
housing (the same way water and phone wiring is standard) - but that's
not free, and that still begs the question of who lights the fiber

- still, the LECs would come unglued (and have)!

Miles Fidelman