Muni Fiber and Politics

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 21:41:23 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 8:34 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> Whoever installs fiber first and gets any significant fraction of subscribers in any
> but the densest of population centers is a competition killer, _IF_ you let them
> parlay that physical infrastructure into an anti-competitive environment for higher
> layer services.

I take it that on principal you would have petitioned against the
proposed Google Fiber roll-out in the San Jose area and would
have spoken out against it at the public hearing on June 17th
in favor of an alternative municipal funded project if you were not
otherwise engaged (the synopsis indicates no public comments
from the floor from that meeting)?  You may have missed an
opportunity to be the one to stop Google Fiber in San Jose in
preference to muni fiber, although there is never just one meeting
for such large scale projects.  I am sure you will have other
chances to offer your opinion, and encourage the council to
just say no.