Muni Fiber and Politics

Jason Iannone jason.iannone at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 20:17:50 UTC 2014

Lots of blame to go around.  Verizon isn't an eyeball only network
(Comcast would have a more difficult time describing itself as
anything but), so a reasonable peering policy should apply.  In
Verizon's case, 1.8:1.  I speculate that without Netflix, Cogent and
L3 are largely within the specifications of their peering agreements.
Netflix knows how much traffic it sends.  If its transit is doing
their due diligence, they'll also know.  It didn't come as a surprise
to either transit provider that they were going to fill their pipes
into at least some eyeball provider peers.  Cogent is notoriously hard
nosed when it comes to disputes, and Level3 caved very early in the
fight.  Anyway, this is a simple peering dispute between carriers that
almost certainly knew they were participating with the internet's
number one traffic generator and eyeballs wanting to get back into the
contractual green.  Also, I don't think it's out of line for anyone to
ask for free stuff.