Muni Fiber and Politics

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Mon Jul 21 18:17:46 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 10:28 AM, Scott Helms <khelms at zcorum.com> wrote:

> In an organization as large as Verizon there are many reasons why a policy
> gets changed.  I'm certain that there are product guys who were saying our
> customers want this.  I'm sure there were marketing folks saying we can
> build a marketing campaign around it.  I am equally certain that some there
> were some folks, perhaps lawyers, who said this gives us a better position
> to argue from if we need to against Netflix.

Interestingly enough, this seems to be coupled
with a statement that Verizon will be deploying
Netflix CDN boxes into their network:

http://publicpolicy.verizon.com/blog/entry/level-3s-selective-amnesia-on-peering

"Fortunately, Verizon and Netflix have found a way to avoid the congestion
problems that Level 3 is creating by its refusal to find “alternative
commercial terms.” We are working diligently on directly connecting Netflix
content servers into Verizon’s network so that we both can keep the
interests of our mutual customers paramount."

Kudos to Netflix for getting Verizon to agree
to host openconnect boxes internally!  This
beats the business plan I was formulating
to sell $1/month VPN connections to
Netflix users on Verizon to bypass the
congested links.  ^_^;

Matt