Cable Company Network Upgrade

Toney Mareo halflife4 at gmx.com
Mon Jul 21 13:18:12 UTC 2014

Hello

Thanks for the useful tips.

>We weren't told the geographical disparity of these 20 locations, but it may be wiser for each location to peer/buy transit to two or more disparate POPs rather than home them to one core location which has more single points of failure.

The farest node is at 94kms, the closest to the central is 11kms but they are just like as you said distributed right now. Not all the traffic going through their HQ and I want to keep it this way.

In this case I think 100gps routers are overkill. I just need to give them some recommendation for switches/routers for these edge nodes where the CMTS-es are located which are able to connect to 2-3 different ISPs. For now I recommended HP MSR50 Modular Router, but if you know any better price/category please let me know. I think the best choice are these modular routers, because ISPs might have different connections at different nodes like 1Gb fiber, 10Gb fiber.

Also if anybody could recommend ABR (Adaptive bitrate streaming) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_bitrate_streaming
equipment for this size of network, that would be great.

Thanks!