Cable Company Network Upgrade

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Sat Jul 19 23:04:24 UTC 2014

Thanks for sharing Ben, that's 450 kbps/sub at peak times!  We see numbers in our network closer to 300 kbps per subscriber.

Assuming peak usage levels of 450 kbs/sub, that would be 15.75 Gbps for Toney's customer base, and possibly more if they really have a 240 Mbps offerings.  But if there are 20 locations then it's an average of 787.5 Mbps per location.  If each site had a 10 Gbps interface (with 1 or 2 Gbps of transport), then the core location should peer/buy transit with at least two ISPs over four 10G interfaces.  That way if one ISP/interface falls away there's still sufficient capacity.

We weren't told the geographical disparity of these 20 locations, but it may be wiser for each location to peer/buy transit to two or more disparate POPs rather than home them to one core location which has more single points of failure.

Frank