Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sat Jul 19 22:28:26 UTC 2014

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 16:32:42 -0400, Jay Ashworth said:

> I wonder what the original FCC data actually said.  And meant.

The last time I checked, the FCC data was a steaming pile of dingo's
kidneys due to the way they overstated access.  It was done on a per-county
basis, and if the service was offered *anywhere* in the county, it was counted
as accessible to *the entire population* of said county.

So if there were 50,000 people in the county, and 6 households got Comcast
because they lived right on the county line and Comcast hit their street
because they were doing a buildiut in a new development just over the line,
the FCC said all 50K had access to cable.

Similary for more suurban areas, where Cox may have cable to half the
people, and Verizon has DSL to a *different* third, and 1/6 are scratching
their tookuses waiting for broadband from everybody - the FCC numbers say
everybody in the county has access to 2 competing providers.

I don't know if they got any better - I doubt it, as the FCC is a severe
victim of regulatory capture, and the regulated companies don't really
want realistic numbers published...