BGP Session

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Sat Jul 19 17:23:12 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Abuse Contact
<stopabuseandreport at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, we're using it for an anycasted node but like, I'm confused on certain
> parts like, just a really basic question.
> When doing things like
>
> conf t
> router bgp AS1337
>
> neighbor 208.54.128.0 remote-as AS13335
> neighbor 208.54.128.0 description BGP with Upstream
> neighbor 208.54.128.0 password "lolpass"
>
> address-family ipv4
> no synchronization
> neighbor 208.54.128.0 activate
> neighbor 208.54.128.0 soft-reconfiguration inboung
>
> I'm confused on when doing this, would I need to state like
>
> First go to AS13335 then go to TATA then go to my server or would it just
> automatically do that or would my provider do that? I'm confused on that.
> how would I state multiple peers.....?

AS13335 is Cloudflare.
How does TATA relate? You have a deicated server connected to TATA and
Cloudflare? I'm skeptical.

You really ought to do some more reading, learning, and practicing
before running public BGP.

I would recommend reading this book cover-to-cover:
http://www.bgpexpert.com/'BGP'-by-Iljitsch-van-Beijnum/
It's only ~250 small pages.
To practice and experiment, emulate some example configurations with
GNS3 and Dynamips, or some Linux VMs with Quagga or BIRD.