Net Neutrality...

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jul 18 18:35:48 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Rob Seastrom <rs at seastrom.com> wrote:
> Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> writes:
>> On 7/17/14, 2:15 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>>> /me makes popcorn and waits for 4K displays to drop under US$1K and
>>> watch the network providers completely lose their shit....
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-SE39UY04-39-Inch-Ultra-120Hz/dp/B00DOPGO2G
>>
>> $339!
>>
>> I use it for doing dev. It's *fabulous*.
>
> "Refresh rate is limited to 30Hz with 4K"
>
> Bracing for my first seizure ever in 3...  2... 1...

Hi Rob,

An LED screen doesn't refresh the way a CRT does, right? The light
doesn't flash and fade, it stays constant until the next change. So
why would a 30 hz refresh rate make any difference at all for tasks
which update the screen less often than 30 times a second? Mike did
say he used it for doing software development.

Movies were shot at 24fps and TV shows at 30fps (60 interlaced), so
I'm not sure where the harm would be there either.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Can I solve your unusual networking challenges?