BGP Session

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Thu Jul 17 00:50:00 UTC 2014

Wow -- be careful playing with public eBGP sessions unless you know
what you're doing. It can affect the entire Internet.

Since you're just connecting to a single upstream ISP, you wont
qualify for a public AS number. So, you'll have to work with your
upstream ISP to agree on a private AS number you can use.
You will be setting up an eBGP session (which is a session between two
different AS numbers, as opposed to iBGP, wherein the AS numbers are
the same).

As for running BGP on a dedicated server, it'll depend on the OS in
use. Assuming Linux, take a look at Quagga, BIRD, and ExaBGP.
http://www.nongnu.org/quagga/
http://bird.network.cz/
https://code.google.com/p/exabgp/

It may be a *lot* easier for you to just have your upstream ISP
announce your IP space, and route it to your dedicated server, unless
you need the ability to turn it off and on over time.

Cheers,
jof