Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jul 17 00:38:58 UTC 2014

On Jul 16, 2014, at 17:14 , Miles Fidelman <mfidelman at meetinghouse.net> wrote:

> Owen DeLong wrote:

>>> My customers do not want me to "creatively" find ways to extract
>>> additional money from them so as to cover expenses that Netflix
>>> should be covering. Nor do they want me to subsidize Netflix
>>> subscribers from the fees from non-Netflix subscribers. They
>>> want to pay a fair price for their Internet that does not include
>>> paying ransom to third parties.
>> Why should Netflix be covering those expenses? Your customers
>> asked for the content from Netflix. They paid you to deliver it and they
>> paid Netflix for the content.
>>

> Not for nothing, but in the old days, if I asked Netflix to send me a CD in the mail, they paid the postage - out of the fee I paid them.

Because that was the contract you had with Netflix. Did you also pay the post office to bring the DVD to you? (To the best of my knowledge,
Netflix never shipped CDs)?

Yes, if you pay Netflix to pay the delivery charges, I have no problem with them paying your ISP. However, in this case, you're paying your ISP, so Netflix shouldn't have to. My point is your ISP shouldn't get to double-dip.

Owen