Inevitable death, was Re: Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

Brett Glass nanog at brettglass.com
Tue Jul 15 18:08:19 UTC 2014

At 11:40 AM 7/15/2014, Rubens Kuhl wrote:

>Read again. You answered thinking about AirFiber 24, while he mentioned
>AirFiber 5, which goes much longer.

Ah. I assumed that you were talking about the 24 GHz version,
because we rejected the 5 GHz radio the moment we scanned the data
sheet. It does not meet our standards for antenna gain or spectral
efficiency. The 5 GHz band is in heavy use in our area (not only by
us, but by many others). Such a radio simply couldn't survive in
our RF environment. And even if by some miracle it could, the 5 GHz
band is far too valuable for us to devote so much spectrum to a
single backhaul. We use other bands and better equipment for high
capacity point-to-point links.

--Brett Glass