Inevitable death, was Re: Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Jul 15 16:01:51 UTC 2014

On Jul 15, 2014, at 10:58 AM, Brett Glass <nanog at brettglass.com> wrote:
> Here's the thing. With physical goods, there are economies of scale in
> shipping and delivering them in bulk. But IP addresses are simply numbers!

Actually, they're not even discrete numbers, but address blocks (If there
were specific costs associated with administration of individual IP addresses,
ARIN would have collapsed under the astronomical cost increase of receiving
the allocation of 83,076,749,736,557,242,056,487,941,267,521,536 [/12] IPv6
addresses for this region...)

Actual cost to administer, i.e. maintain in the database and ARIN systems,
invoice each holder, provide reverse DNS, etc. is actually remarkably similar
for ARIN regardless of address block size, e.g.whether it is IPv4 /8, /16,
/20, /24 or an IPv6 /32 or /48.

ARIN has consistently lowered ISP fees over the years (more than four times so
far) but it is still worth revisiting, and there is a Fee Structure Review Report
that will be forthcoming that looks at very approaches going forward.  I will
make sure to notify the NANOG community as well, as we want as many voices as
possible in the discussion which will take place the latter half of this year.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO