Inevitable death, was Re: Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Tue Jul 15 14:33:49 UTC 2014

If you are a multi-homed end user and you feel that a BGP configuration for that is a big management nightmare then you probably should not be running BGP.  It would take me somewhere less than 15 minutes to set this up with two carriers and unless the carrier's are at drastically different tiers, there is no need to be doing a ton of "tweaking".  I have run a bunch of networks like that and the workload of BGP was not even in my top 100 tasks.

That "awkward and primitive" routing system has scaled pretty well and works well enough that there is not any widespread desire to change it.  Sure we might change some things today (which we actually have over time, you know there are different BGP versions, right?), but if you can come up with a better system that is still in widespread use in 30 years, I will be impressed.

Here is the number one reason to have an ASN and your own addresses:  If you are using your upstream provider's address space and dump them, you will have to renumber.  That is a big deal for anyone with a large internet facing presence and usually results in at least some downtime.  Due to the way DNS works (cacheing), there is no really instantaneous way to change all the addressing on your publicly facing systems without incurring some interruption.  You also could have your upstream provider get acquired or re-arrange their network whenever they feel necessary and you do not control your own destiny at all.  It can also be complex announcing address space you received from one provider through another provider's network especially if those two providers change their peering arrangements between them.  As a side benefit of having my own AS number, I can avoid or push traffic to certain carriers by changing my announcements.  You can't do that without your own AS.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL