Inevitable death, was Re: Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Tue Jul 15 12:39:00 UTC 2014

Matt,

IP address portability isn't really a problem, but I understand your point
of view a bit better.  One of the things we figured out is that ARIN allows
for non-connected operators to reallocate blocks.  It does frequently
confuse whoever the ISP is getting their tier 1 connectivity from and its
even worse if they get connectivity from smaller providers, but it does
effectively allow the ISP to have portable space without having an ASN.
 Frequently the smaller operators are happy to have a /23 of portable space
so they can use that for their static IP customers and deal with the change
of addressing for everyone else.

Please note, this is not a money making operation for us.  Its something we
started doing in ~2003 to avoid having to constantly renumber networks and
disrupt business accounts while allowing the ISPs to shop new bandwidth
providers when they became available.

Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology
ZCorum