Inevitable death, was Re: Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

Brett Glass nanog at brettglass.com
Tue Jul 15 04:21:44 UTC 2014

Mike:

An ASN is, literally, just a number. One that's used by a very
awkward and primitive routing system that requires constant
babysitting and tweaking and, after lo these many years, still
doesn't deliver the security or robustness it should. Obtaining
this token number (and a bunch of IP addresses which is no
different, qualitatively, from what I already have) would be a
large expense that would not produce any additional value for my
customers but could force me to raise their fees -- something which
I absolutely do not want to do.

Perhaps it's best to think of it this way: I'm outsourcing some
backbone routing functions to my upstreams, which (generously)
aren't charging me anything extra to do it. In my opinion, that's a
good business move.

As for "peering:" the definition is pretty well established. ISPs
do it; content providers at the edge do not.

Netflix is fighting a war of semantics and politics with ISPs. It
is trying to cling to every least penny it receives and spend none
of it on the resources it consumes or on making its delivery of
content more efficient. We have been in conversations with it in
which we've asked only for it to be equitable and pay us the same
amount per customer as it pays other ISPs, such as Comcast (since,
after all, they should be just as valuable to it). It has refused
to do even that much. That's why talks have, for the moment, broken
down and we are looking at other solutions.

--Brett Glass