Inevitable death, was Re: Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

Hugo Slabbert hugo at slabnet.com
Tue Jul 15 02:46:12 UTC 2014

Hi Brett,

>Why don't you simply ask me?

I can only speak for myself, but I thought that's kind of what I and others
were doing in replying to your messages, stating either support or
counterpoints, and asking questions (?).  With this being a list and your (as
of recently) being a member of the list, my assumption (and I'm betting
others') is that it's a conversation and in our replies, you may be inclined to
respond or you may not.

>There have been a huge number of incorrect, mostly speculative assertions made
>about my business in this thread, but I simply don't have time to correct all
>of them (I have a business to run and customers to help).

And that's fine; you're under zero obligation to anyone on the list.  That
said: finding radio silence, chances are the conversation will carry on and
we're left to guessing/theorizing/extrapolating.

When I said "I really don't understand the line of reasoning..." I wasn't being
flippant.  I just know how things look from my own experience; I don't know the
full details of your business and so I honestly don't know what led to your
take on the topic.  Your experience dealing with Netflix has obviously been
more negative than mine, and I don't fully get why that is.

The prevailing trend seems to be that Netflix generally doesn't have trouble
getting content to access providers' door steps, with several options for
providers on how to receive that content that covers different traffic levels.
In the same way as you don't owe them any special treatment, though, I don't
see how they owe you (or any of us) special treatment either.

But, like I said:  I don't know the details of your business or the specifics
of how this plays out for you, but I am eager to hear it.  More information is
helpful, and if we only ever hear from people with the same view/experience,
we're not very likely to get the whole picture...

--
Hugo