Inevitable death, was Re: Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue Jul 15 02:01:11 UTC 2014

On Jul 14, 2014, at 9:47 PM, Matthew Petach <mpetach at netflight.com> wrote:

> Oh, yes; totally agreed.  It's a one-way relationship
> in my mind; it's nigh-on impossible to be a competitive
> ISP without an ASN; but in no way shape or form does
> having an ASN make you an ISP.

I think here is where you are wrong.  There are many people out there that have cobbled together ISPs and have appliances that will load balance or do failover with multiple DSL or hybrid DSL/Cable/T1 solutions.

I do understand the line you have drawn, but some of these people compete against the largest companies in the world and win business because of their uptime and support.  I wish they wouldn’t be doing “CGN” or CGN-lite type things but it happens and they don’t need an ASN to be competitive.  And having an ASN would drive their costs up significantly.  $500 in fees from ARIN represents a large number of subscribers profit.

- Jared