Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Jul 14 19:40:34 UTC 2014

On Sun, 13 Jul 2014 22:17:33 -0400, Jay Ashworth said:

> You're a terminating, or 'eyeball', network if the preponderance of your
> customers are end-users, resi or biz.  Small-biz networks that are single
> uplink count here, yes.
>
> You're a transit network, if the preponderance of your customers are
> other networks, including larger business networks that are or might
> become multi-homed.  In short, if the plurality of your customers have
> an ASN.

And for a chunk of time, we looked like a transit network for traffic that
passed through us heading for Internet2, if you were looking at us from the
Internet2 side, and damned few eyeballs unless you call a few dozen HPC
clusters eyeballs.

But if you were looking at us from our Cogent upstream, we looked like an
eyeball network because we didn't provide those downstreams any transit in
Cogent's direction, so all that was visible was our tens of thousands of
eyeballs that were all looking at stuff that wasn't on Internet2.

(And yes, things got "interesting" a few times in our routing swamp
when we didn't keep straight which thing went where, and we leaked a
route or two and looked like eyeballs to Internet2, or transit to Cogent...)

So as I said, it depends on where you were looking at us from.