Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

John van Oppen jvanoppen at spectrumnet.us
Mon Jul 14 17:10:12 UTC 2014

Let's just dispel this, internet bandwidth is not a very significant cost for access networks when compared to moving the data internally and maintaining the last mile access.   That being said, incremental usage can drive huge capex, almost always in the very expensive last mile.

Most of our cost (as a cable provider) on a per-bit basis is between the head-end and the customer, or between the head-end and the regional pop.   The main driver here should be obvious, the bigger the pipe on the same route, the cheaper the bits...    A cable carrying 300 kbit/sec costs just as much to maintain and install as a cable carrying 300 gbit/sec on the outside plant side of the equation, and that is where the real cost is.

John