Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 17:06:54 UTC 2014

> If Netflix were a good citizen, it would (a) let ISPs cache content; (b)
> pay them
> equitably for direct connections (smaller and more remote ISPs have higher
> costs
> per customer and should get MORE per account than Comcast, rather than
> receiving
> nothing); and (c) work with ISPs to develop updated technology that makes
> streaming
> more efficient. Bandwidth is expensive, and unicast streaming without
> caching is by
> far the most inefficient conceivable way of delivering "fat" content to
> the consumer.

I noted most of the discussion seems to point to Internet bandwidth as a
cost factor to ISPs, but I wonder what's the impact of Netflix on access
network costs ? They might be harder to measure or directly correlate to
streaming usage,  but for non-wired networks (which is usually the case in
rural networks), this impact sounds more harmful to me than uplink costs.

Rubens