Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 16:42:50 UTC 2014

> On Jul 14, 2014, at 6:03 AM, Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:
>
> In my experience the bandwidth is typically the lowest part of the cost equation.
>
> Why transcode on 1k nodes when you can do it once and distribute it at lower cost,
> including in electricity to run the host CPU.
>
> Centralized transcoding on dedicated hardware makes sense.
>
> - Jared

Except perhaps for the (current discussion) small rural ISP.

The bandwidth scaling equations out in Ruralistan have never been the same as in large metros.  You see this in wireless delivered performance as well.  Netflix is probably not the straw that broke the camel's back, but it's The Thing Du Jour which one can point at and criticize, so it 's becoming a focal point.

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone