Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Jul 14 14:28:29 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Mark Andrews" <marka at isc.org>

> And in some parts of the world bandwidth caps are the norm even for
> terrestial lines. My DOCIS home line has a 120G (down + up on this
> plan) limit then it is rate limited for the rest of the month. I
> don't hit the 120G limit though I regularly go over 60G. If I need
> more bandwidth I would go up to the next tier. This gives me a
> fixed price as well as well defined service expectations.

And as much as I am not a fan of usage-based pricing -- and as often as
I disagree with Mark :-) -- I don't have any problem with *that* approach:

You get a big first cap, and then you rate limit to something suitable
for everything except bulk transfer, and you can buy a bigger cap.

As long as that first cap is reasonable -- and 120GB is, even for me --
then it's not a real hassle.

The problem is a) putting the limit in the right place (x% of the
customers consume y% of the total throughput per month) and b)
selling it to existing accounts.

It won't affect 100-x% of the customers, and of those, some percentage
less than 100% will complain.  Is that acceptable?  Depends.

Cheers,
-- jra