Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

Dave Temkin dave at temk.in
Mon Jul 14 12:44:38 UTC 2014

The box doesn't even download 10% of the whole catalog and churns less than
1% a day.

Obviously our demand curve is proprietary information, but I can assure you
that a lot of people - engineers, mathematicians, etc. have looked at and
improved the algorithm - but we are still constantly working to make it
better.

If you look at boxes like Qwilt, which is a universal flow-through cache,
the best they can get is ~30% offload with Netflix traffic (in the real
world, not in their lab). With multiple different encodes (driven by
differing DRM and device types) the odds of two people watching the exact
same thing are relatively low. The law of large numbers rules the game.

-Dave