Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Jul 14 02:17:33 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Valdis Kletnieks" <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu>

> On Sat, 12 Jul 2014 16:02:57 -0400, Joly MacFie said:
>
> > 1) when does a terminating network become a transit network, and..
>
> And what if "terminating" versus "transit" depends on where you observe from?
> (For example, if we provide transit to a downstream, but only announce
> a route to one of our upstreams, and that one upstream limits the
> further redistribution of the route..)

Really?

This is a question?

You're a terminating, or 'eyeball', network if the preponderance of your
customers are end-users, resi or biz.  Small-biz networks that are single
uplink count here, yes.

You're a transit network, if the preponderance of your customers are
other networks, including larger business networks that are or might
become multi-homed.  In short, if the plurality of your customers have
an ASN.

I don't even make a living at this, and I didn't have a problem with this
definition...

Cheers,
-- jra