Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Sun Jul 13 19:34:33 UTC 2014

On July 13, 2014 at 11:42 randy at psg.com (Randy Bush) wrote:

 > ahhh.   so
 >
 >    not government regulated == wild west
 >
 > got it

Let's not forget that the big players in all this have
cross-subsidized from huge, government-protected monopolies or
very-small-N oligopolies in cable, phone services and wire plants,
etc.

To now suggest that non-governmental business processes would be
superior to arbitrate interconnects etc seems, to me, highly
disingenuous as a principled position.

Let Comcast, TW, AT&T, Verizon, etc relinquish their monopoly
protections and then perhaps we can see something resembling a free
and open business climate evolve. Even that would deny that they
already have become vast and powerful on these govt-mandated
sinecures.

I'd argue it's not the wild west inasmuch as it's more like the old
joke about three wolves and a sheep voting on dinner. But the imagery
of range wars is apt.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada