Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Sat Jul 12 22:26:13 UTC 2014

What is generally claimed is that I was the first to put the general
public on the internet.

Unix shell account, $20, connected machine, have at it.

I got enough crap at the time for doing this that it must have been
significant!

  ``Wot??? You can't put the GENERAL PUBLIC on the internet? What are
  you CRAZY??? You're illegally reselling federal property!!! (etc)''

The leap was that it was around $20 to ANYONE with a modem and a
terminal (yes we had customers who actually used VT100s) or PC rather
than thousands per month for a 9.6KB or 56KB leased line, router, etc.

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World.std.com

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada