Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Fri Jul 11 19:07:41 UTC 2014

joel jaeggli wrote the following on 7/11/2014 1:39 PM:
> On 7/11/14 11:20 AM, Blake Hudson wrote:
>> Verizon Policy Blog wrote:
>>
>>> There was, however, congestion at the interconnection link to the
>>> edge of our network (the border router) used by the transit providers
>>> chosen by Netflix to deliver video traffic to Verizon’s network.
>> In what world does Netflix choose a transit provider into someone
>> else's network? I'm pretty sure that Verizon chooses who it peers with
>> and how it announces BGP prefixes. This means that Verizon is largely
>> in control of traffic engineering at its borders. If one of those
>> transit providers is congested, this is something Verizon, as a
>> responsible network operator, is surely aware of and has the
>> capability to resolve. This is difficult, if even possible, for a
>> source network operator to work around.
> CDN's choose which exit the use all the time, it's kinda the raison de etré.
>
> If a pop has 174 3356 2914 7992 transit(s) chances are they can use any
> one of them or all of them to get to foo other large transit as.

Yes, but no matter which network Netflix uses as an exit from their
network, Verizon still has the final say on how it enters Verizon's
network. If Netflix has several transit providers to choose from, at
best they can try each one and see what delivers the best experience to
their mutual customers. Of course, Verizon might change their routing
policy tomorrow (or on-demand) and throw that all out of whack. My point
is that Verizon advertises several ways to reach Verizon's network. If
one path is 'inneficient' as Verizon states, Verizon is at fault for
announcing that inefficient path. Netflix does not dictate Verizon's
border routing policy, contrary to Verizon's claims.

--Blake