Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Jul 11 17:02:24 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Miles Fidelman" <mfidelman at meetinghouse.net>

> Either way, if one is a customer of both, one will end up paying for
> the infrastructure - it's more about gorillas fighting, which bill it
> shows up on, who ends up pocketing more of the profits, and how many
> negative side-effects result.

<hobbyhorse>
No.  Nope.

DAMNIT, NO.

Why is it that whenever we are having these conversations -- be they about
Netflix and Verizon, or restaurants and waiters -- that we always tacitly
*approve* of the idea that the zero sum game of money includes only the
vendors and the customers?

Why the *hell* do we not assume that perhaps, just maybe, *the company
in the middle* ought to take some of that extra cost out of their profits?

Have they succeeded in convincing us -- the paying customers -- that
corporate profit margins are sacred?  That they should *never* have to
pay some of that cost themselves?

Why?
</hobbyhorse>

Cheers,