Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jul 11 13:28:57 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 9:12 PM, Miles Fidelman
<mfidelman at meetinghouse.net> wrote:
> Now I write a check every month to both Verizon and Netflix - and clearly it
> would be nice if some of that went to provisioning better service between
> the two.  But I can as easily point to Netflix, as to Verizon, when it comes
> to which dollar stream should be going to bigger (or more efficient) pipes.

Hi Miles,

Netflix is not your ISP. Verizon is. You pay Verizon to carry your
packets to and from everybody else on the Internet, not just those
folks they feel like connecting to.

On the flip side, Netflix is NOT demanding payment from Verizon the
way TV stations demand payment from cable and satellite companies.
Netflix and their carriers have repeatedly offered to freely connect
at multiple locations where Verizon already has facilities.

One of these companies is demanding a second payment to provide the
service they've already been paid for. One is not. The one demanding
double-payment is unambiguously at fault.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Can I solve your unusual networking challenges?