Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

Vitkovský Adam adam.vitkovsky at swan.sk
Fri Jul 11 08:32:51 UTC 2014

I disagree as all of this makes perfect sense.

Would it be right if Netflix comes to You and says we see you've got a lot of our customers hooked up to your backbone so to serve better service we'd like to connect to your network directly.
And you goes: so you would like to become our customer? Sure this is the monthly fee for the link and transport service that would suite your needs.
And Netflix goes: well how about you build the link to us bearing all the costs and you gonna charge us nothing for the transport you provide, deal?
What would be your answer?

Of course this "good deal" has some precursors.
If your customers fail to obey your statistical multiplexing predictions and links to your upstreams are running hot than you have several options.
a) You could pay for the upgrades of links to your upstreams.
b) You could take the "good deal" Netflix has proposed to save costs for a).
c) You could not give a damn about your customers as they have nowhere else to go anyways and use this advantage to force Netflix to become your customer (well paying customer as they would need big pipes).
What would you do?

Options a) and b) assumes of course that Netflix has good connections to their upstreams and not misusing their position into forcing the customer relationship into free peering one.

adam