Verizon Public Policy on Netflix

Jima nanog at jima.us
Fri Jul 11 03:46:33 UTC 2014

On 2014-07-10 19:40, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>  From another list, I think this puts it nicely (for those of you who
> don't know Brett, he's been running a small ISP for years
> http://www.lariat.net/)

  While trying to substantiate Mr. Glass' grievance with Netflix
regarding their lack of availability to peer, I happened upon this
tidbit from two months ago:

http://dewaynenet.wordpress.com/2014/04/29/re-netflix-inks-deal-with-verizon-wont-talk-to-small-isps/

  As for Mr. Woodcock's point regarding a lack of
http://lariat.net/peering existing,
https://www.netflix.com/openconnect/locations doesn't seem to do what
I'd expect, either, although I did finally find the link to
http://www.peeringdb.com/view.php?asn=2906 .  To Mr. Glass' point, I'm
not seeing any way the listed PoPs could feasibly be less than 900
wire-miles from Laramie -- to be fair, cutting across "open land" is a
bad joke at best.

  Life is rough in these "fly-over" states (in which I would include my
current state of residence); the closest IXes of which I'm aware are in
Denver and SLC (with only ~19 and 9 peers, respectively).  Either of
those would be a hard sell for Netflix, no doubt about it.

  I guess I'm just glad that my home ISP can justify anteing up for a
pipe to SIX, resources for hosting OpenConnect nodes, and, for that
matter, an ASN.  Indeed, not everyone can.

      Jima