Listing or google map of peering exchange

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Wed Jul 9 20:03:48 UTC 2014

On Jul 9, 2014, at 12:46 PM, Patrick W. Gilmore <patrick at ianai.net> wrote:
> Then again, PeeringDB never claimed to be anything but user-submitted data. Just the opposite.

Exactly, not a criticism; PeeringDB’s focus is on peers, not on IXPs.  The IXP Directory’s focus is on IXPs, not peers.  Different needs, different data collected, etc.

> Taking just Seattle IX (since I have a personal interest there :), it says "177" under “participants"

Interesting.  We pull automatically from the standard URL, https://www.seattleix.net/participants/table but have to try to uniq it to not double-count organizations that are peering under multiple ASNs, who are peering on multiple subnets, etc.  Because we’re doing that 400 times per day, it’s all automated with rulesets and a whole lot of exceptions (knowing that AS 701, 702, 703 are the same organization, etc.).

The SIX is reporting 194 unique ASNs and 195 unique organization names.  Presumably we have some rules that are detecting that AS42 and AS3856, for instance, are the same organization and consolidating those.  I’ll have our IXPdir maintenance staff take a look at where the differences lie, and whether any of those rules need to be updated.

                                -Bill