Updated ARIN allocation information

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Fri Jan 31 16:09:43 UTC 2014

On Jan 30, 2014, at 10:20 PM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> I figure there will be similar problem for other business in other
> countries and they will fight a similar battles.  Eventually the
> regulators will step in because it is bad for small businesses to
> be shut out of the Internet.

Mark -

   ISPS consciously breaking Internet services are bound to attract
   regulatory attention, but that does not necessarily mean that in
   the end there will be regulatory action.  In the case of peering
   and route acceptance, it is fairly easy to show that there is a
   finite amount of routes that a given ISP can accept, and each of
   these routes has different value (i.e. some have large traffic
   flows, some are peer traffic engineering, some of required backup
   routes for shared multihomed corporate customers, etc.)

   The result is not simple to regulate, because you can't just
   mandate "accept all routes offered" - some ISPs are already
   trimming what they accept to accommodate their particular
   flavor of routing hardware.

   For last few decades, we've basically been relying on the IP
   allocation/assignment policies and their minimum block sizes as
   a proxy for the default "worth accepting" metric, but this may not
   prevail once there is serious pressure to fragment blocks to obtain
   better utilization.  It would be nice if there was a way to fairly
   "settle up" for the imputed cost of adding a given route to the
   routing table, as this would provide some proportionate backpressure
   on growth, would create incentives for deaggregate cleanup, etc.
   We don't have such a system, so it falls to each ISP to decide what
   route is worth accepting based on type and the offering peer's
   business relationship...

FYI,
/John

Disclaimer: My views alone. Note - I haven't had enable on any
            backbone routers in this _century_, so feel free to
            discount/discard if so desired.  ;-)