Updated ARIN allocation information

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Jan 31 13:10:51 UTC 2014

On Jan 30, 2014, at 3:58 PM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:

> In message <384BF687-AD8A-4919-9EAB-723A09854E0D at puck.nether.net>, Jared Mauch
> writes:
>>
>> On Jan 30, 2014, at 12:17 AM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Or you could just accept that there needs to be more routing slots
>>> as the number of businesses on the net increases.  I can see some
>>> interesting anti-cartel law suits happening if ISP's refuse to
>>> accept /28's from this block.
>>
>> i suspect it will be more sean doran style 'pay me for your slot'.
>
> A /8 slot costs as much as a /28 slot to hold process etc.  A routing
> slot is a routing slot.  The *only* reason this isn't a legal problems
> at the moment is people can still get /24s.  The moment /24's aren't
> readily available and they are forced into using this range anyone
> filtering on /24 in this range is leaving themselves open to lawsuits.

On what basis? How do you have the right to force me to carry your route on
my network? Especially in light of the recent strike-down of the net neutrality
rules?

> Now as this range is allocated for transition to IPv6 a defence for
> edge networks may be "we can reach all their services over IPv6"
> but that doesn't work for transit providers.  Eyeball networks would
> need to ensure that all their customers had access to IPv6 and even
> that may not be enough.

Please point to the law which requires a transit provider to provide transit
to every tiny corner of every internet. Please do so for all nations where
this may be an issue.

Owen