Updated ARIN allocation information

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Jan 30 23:58:58 UTC 2014

In message <384BF687-AD8A-4919-9EAB-723A09854E0D at puck.nether.net>, Jared Mauch
writes:

> On Jan 30, 2014, at 12:17 AM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
>
> > Or you could just accept that there needs to be more routing slots
> > as the number of businesses on the net increases.  I can see some
> > interesting anti-cartel law suits happening if ISP's refuse to
> > accept /28's from this block.
>
> i suspect it will be more sean doran style 'pay me for your slot'.

A /8 slot costs as much as a /28 slot to hold process etc.  A routing
slot is a routing slot.  The *only* reason this isn't a legal problems
at the moment is people can still get /24s.  The moment /24's aren't
readily available and they are forced into using this range anyone
filtering on /24 in this range is leaving themselves open to lawsuits.

Now as this range is allocated for transition to IPv6 a defence for
edge networks may be "we can reach all their services over IPv6"
but that doesn't work for transit providers.  Eyeball networks would
need to ensure that all their customers had access to IPv6 and even
that may not be enough.

This range adds a maximum of 245760 (2^18-2^14) routes to the global
routing table.  Do you really want to go to court for this many routes?

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org