Are specific "route" objects in RIR databases needed?

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 21:45:17 UTC 2014

Job, Tore: ok, I see. So "route" object in RIR routing registry database
for each announced prefix is needed only because some ISPs create filters
exactly the size of the "route" object in database? So for example if there
is a "route" object for 192.0.2.0/24 in RIR database, then ISP-A might
create a following strict prefix-filter entry:

policy-options {
    policy-statement EXAMPLE {
        term prefixes {
            from {
                route-filter 192.0.2.0/24 exact;
            }
            then next policy;
        }
        then reject;
    }
}

On the other hand, ISP-B might create loose filter based on the same
"route" object like this:

policy-options {
    policy-statement EXAMPLE {
        term prefixes {
            from {
                route-filter 192.0.2.0/24 upto /32;
            }
            then next policy;
        }
        then reject;
    }
}

PS: this is a theoretical question :) I'm also for keeping the BGP table as
short as possible.

regards,
Martin