Are specific "route" objects in RIR databases needed?

Job Snijders job.snijders at hibernianetworks.com
Thu Jan 30 17:01:30 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 06:51:59PM +0200, Martin T wrote:

> for example there is a small company with /22 IPv4 allocation from
> RIPE in European region. This company is dual-homed and would like to
> announce 4x /24 prefixes to both ISPs. Both ISP's update their
> prefix-lists automatically based on records in RIPE database. For
> example Level3 uses this practice at least in Europe. If this small
> company creates a "route" object for it's /22 allocation, then is it
> enough? Theoretically this would cover all four /24 networks. Or in
> which situation it is useful/needed to have "route" object for each
> /24 prefix?

You should create a route object for each route that you announce, if
you announce 4 x /24 you should create a route: object for each /24.

Some providers will create filters solely based on existing route
objects, others will create filters based on all route objects, AND
allow up to a /24 regardless. I would err to the safe side.

Kind regards,

Job

ps. Can you please send 20 dollarcent per /24 to my paypal account
(job at instituut.net) with the reference "deaggregation fee"?