BGP multihoming with two address spaces

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jan 29 19:34:24 UTC 2014

> This sort of local-pref default seems to be a common practice with
> backbones. It's very annoying. I wish they'd stop.

Most of their customers would actually be very unhappy if they stopped. This local-pref default prevents many many problems and in the vast majority of cases provides the desired result. Yes, it's important to know what is going on and to be able to ask your providers to make necessary changes in circumstances where this is not optimal (either via community or ticket), but I assure you that if every backbone turned this off suddenly, most internet users would be very !HAPPY.

Owen