Fw: ipv6 newbie question

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Wed Jan 29 14:44:18 UTC 2014

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014, Nick Hilliard wrote:

> On 29/01/2014 17:35, Philip Lavine wrote:
>> Is it best practice to have the internet facing BGP router's peering ip
>> (or for that matter any key gateway or security appliance) use a
>> statically configured address or use EUI-64 auto config?
>
> how are you going to set up the bgp session from the remote side to an
> eui-64 auto configured address on your side?
>
> best use static here.  And make sure to disable RA (with fire, i.e. disable
> send + receive + answering solicited requests) and EUI64.  If it's a point
> to point link, use a /126 or /127 netmask.

+1.  I've seem some providers do /64 on their point-to-point links.  I
don't have an issue with that, and the whole /64 vs /126 or /127 debate
has been thoroughly beaten into the ground.  No need to re-hash it.

I have never seen a provider use a pseudo-dynamic address on an
interface/BGP peer.  Having to reconfigure a BGP session because a
provider did a hardware upgrade or moved my link to a new interface would
not make me happy.

jms