ipv6 newbie question

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Jan 29 17:47:42 UTC 2014

On Jan 29, 2014, at 12:35 PM, Philip Lavine <source_route at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is it best practice to have the internet facing BGP router's peering ip (or for that matter any key gateway or security appliance) use a statically configured address or use EUI-64 auto config?
>
> I have seen comments on both sides and am leaning to EUI-64 (except for the VIP's like the ASA's failover ip )

We configure customers with a statically assigned IP address for BGP peering.

They get the IP assigned to them as part of the turn-up process.

The same process happens for "IP Classic" aka v4 as v6.

- Jared

(If you are a AS2914 customer and aren't doing IPv6 with us, don't hesitate to ping me and I will get your information over to that team).