Will a single /27 get fully routed these days?

Sander Steffann sander at steffann.nl
Sun Jan 26 11:59:46 UTC 2014

Hi Randy,

> i suspect that, as multi-homing continues to grow and ipv4 space
> fragments to be used in core-facing nat[64]-like things, a decade from
> now we'll see the boundary move to the right.

Maybe, if the equipment can handle the number of routes. I actually see two opposing things: the scarcity will require more fragmentation with smaller fragments, which requires less strict filtering. On the other hand the fragmentation will already start with e.g. /20s being fragmented into /24s. That might already cause problems for current hardware, which might cause people to filter more strictly. Unfortunately my crystal ball is broken at the moment.

When ARIN starts allocating /28s from the reserved /10 in ±12 months I wonder which direction it will go... I hope for the ARIN region that the majority of operators globally will loosen up their filters for at least that /10 within those 12 months so the allocations will actually be usable. For that to happen it would be very useful to know *which* /10 has been reserved in 2012 though... 12 months is not much for global communication, education and filter adjustments.

And anyway, who needs IPv4 a decade from now? ;)

Cheers,
Sander