GoDaddy DNS

Andrew Sullivan asullivan at dyn.com
Sat Jan 25 12:51:11 UTC 2014

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 03:20:07AM -0600, Jimmy Hess wrote:
> The  32 bits will be interpreted as the bits of an IPv4 address,  which are
> always  4  numeric values  (0 to 255) separated by dots.

Well, that's how they're listed in master files, anyway; that's the
only constraint RFC 1035 makes (see section 3.4.1).  If you're
outputting them for human consumption, you could of course output them
in some other format.  That might be surprising to some.  (It's sure
not what dig does.)  I have heard claims that some hosts on the
Internet did use other representations of v4 addresses for human
consumption.  I have never observed this.  Certainly, the wire format
is not dotted-quad, of course.

(None of this is to disagree that anything other than a 32 bit
Internet address would be ill-formed RDATA for an A record.)

Andrew Sullivan
Dyn, Inc.
asullivan at dyn.com
v: +1 603 663 0448