Google causes 40% drop in traffic?

Stefan Neufeind nanog at stefan-neufeind.de
Fri Jan 24 22:23:53 UTC 2014

On 01/24/2014 09:46 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 21:22:58 +0100, Stefan Neufeind said:
>
>> just "no Youtube". Hmm - why would people use those resolvers, besides
>> being lazy in configuring a proper resolver-address.
>
> A lot of people make value judgements on the relative likelyhood of finding
> evil in DNS packets coming from 8.8.8.8 versus DNS packets coming from the
> IP address handed to you in the DHCP reply....

If it's just "some" DNS your provider hands out, I agree it's not much
better as well. (But you might possibly assume your provider has less
interst to spy on all your emails, your dns-queries and the like.)
What imho you'll want is a reliable resolver which is as close to you as
possible (and have it do DNSSEC-validation etc.).

Regards,
 Stefan